It is prohibited to ship some goods and substances to destinations in the Netherlands and abroad. This is strictly monitored, which means that a parcel may be destroyed or seized because the parcel contains prohibited items. Any item that poses a risk to general safety may not be shipped.
As a webshop owner, you are responsible for the content of your shipments. Therefore, prior to sending your products, it is important that you check the list of prohibited goods and substances. The list is provided below.
Items that may not be sent by post.
- ignition equipment;
- percussion caps for dummy weapons.
- cleaning fluids;
- rust removers and rust prevention material;
- mercury and battery fluid;
- batteries containing battery acid.
Compressed gas (flammable
- aerosols (e.g. deodorant, perfume, whipped cream spray cans);
- gas canisters;
- petrol, methylated spirit;
- flammable solvents and paints;
- cleaning products;
- lacquer/varnish removers.
- all types of matches;
- cellulose nitrate film;
- candles, incense;
- substances that are dangerous when wet.
- substances that produce oxygen quickly;
- organic peroxides such as hair dyes and textile dyes;
- glue and adhesive.
Poisonous substances and infectious substances.
- bacteria, viruses, parasites, etc.
- medical samples;
- research samples of radioactive origin.
Other hazardous substances.
- poison or materials with narcotic, nauseating or toxic effects which, in the event of leakage, cause nuisance or discomfort;
- lithium batteries, except batteries in equipment.
Goods prohibited by law.
- weapons covered by the Weapons Act;
Shipping tobacco and excise duty.
Sending cigarettes and other tobacco products by post to another country is not permitted for excise duty reasons. This also applies for destinations within the European Union. Take extra care with shipments containing other excisable goods such as alcoholic beverages and perfumes, as they may be subject to local restrictions or prohibitions. Consult the country-specific shipping conditions for the detailed import rules relating to the destination country. Unfortunately, PostNL cannot provide full and complete information about the current prohibitions and restrictions. Contact the addressee or consult the website of the postal company or customs authorities in the destination country. The embassy of the destination country may also be able to help.
Other prohibited goods and substances (country-specific).
For a number of countries, there is a list of specific prohibited goods. More information about specific prohibited goods for each country and the conditions under which it is permitted to ship certain goods is available here.
If you have any questions about shipping goods abroad, please call or email us. We are here to answer all your questions.