Through Instagram Shopping, you can also use Instagram as an additional sales channel for your products. You can do this by posting a photo, video or story and tagging the products you sell. A tag with the name and price of the product will appear in the photo or video. When a user clicks it, the product page will open with the product image, description, price and button that allows users to buy the product directly.
Instagram Shopping is an easy way to promote your products and increase sales. From now on, users no longer have to navigate from Instagram to your website and search for products themselves as this increases the chance that they will disconnect. In addition, Shopping on Instagram is free! So what are you waiting for?
Setting up Instagram Shopping
In order to tag your products in messages through Instagram Shopping, you need to have the latest version of the app. Then take the following steps:
- Have your Instagram account approved. In order to qualify for Instagram Shopping, you must meet a number of requirements. These requirements include selling physical goods, having an Instagram business profile, being based in a supporting market and having your account linked to your Facebook business page.
- Link your Instagram profile to your Facebook product catalogue. There are two ways of doing this:
- Create your own product catalogue through Catalogue Manager (Facebook). Then you can link it to your Instagram account.
- Use a Facebook Partner. A Facebook-certified partner will then help you set up a catalogue.
- Set the business settings for Shopping:
- Go to your profile settings.
- Click ‘Business’.
- Click ‘Shopping’.
- Change the settings to match your needs.
- Submit your account for verification.
A full summary of the requirements for your account to be approved is available here. Normally, it takes several days for accounts to be approved. If the account is not approved, you will be asked for more information. Once Instagram has approved the account, you will receive notifications and you can get started with tagging products in posts and stories!
- Start creating your shop message or story. Now that you have set everything up, you can add product tags and stickers to your posts and stories. You then create a message as usual and click ‘Tag products’ to add a product from your catalogue. You can tag up to five products per post. You can even add product tags to messages you have previously posted.
Get started with Instagram Shopping.
Instagram Shopping is like a large shopping centre. The algorithm ensures that relevant products are displayed to interested audiences. Users can then buy the products directly. Therefore, the more attractively you display your products to your audience on Instagram, the greater the effect on conversion to your webshop and your final sales. Find out how to add product tags to your Instagram posts and stories here:
Adding product tags to Instagram posts
- Click the plus icon in the menu bar to add a photo or video to which you want to add product tags.
- Add a caption, effects and filters if you wish.
- In the photo or video, click the products you want to tag. A video contains a frame in which you can select the five products you want to tag.
- Enter the names of the products from your Facebook product catalogue that you want to tag and select the right products.
- Click ‘Done’ and then ‘Share’. Your audience can now discover your product range on Instagram! Your post will appear in your content feed and in your followers’ summaries. It will look similar to this:
Adding product tags to Instagram stories.
To tag your products in an Instagram story, there are different steps you need to take. The steps are outlined below.
- Create a story containing the product or products you want to display. Click the camera in the top left-hand corner of the home screen or on your own profile picture with the blue plus icon. (You can also view your own story here when you have posted).
- One you have taken the photo or video, swipe up to find all of the options for product tags, stickers and emoticons.
- Select the product tag.
- Find the product you want to tag and select it.
- The product tag will appear in your story. You can move it around and make it larger or smaller it if you wish.
- Happy? Your story is now ready to share! To do this, click the small circle showing your profile picture in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
We hope we have helped you find your way around Instagram. If you have any questions, please contact us. Our team is here to help.