Everything you need to know for the end-of-year rush!
The end-of-year period is a great time to boost your e-commerce. To make it a successful period, we have made various preparations in collaboration with PostNL, DHL, UPS and DPD. On this page, you will find all the changes that are taking place and tips on how to prepare as effectively as possible. Curious about real-time updates during the end-of-year period? Then check out our live blog!
On this page you will find the following:
- The main changes.
- End-of-year calendar: All changes in one overview.
- This is how you help reduce the likelihood of delays.
- Set up your shipping process optimally to boost your e-commerce.
- Managing customer expectations.
- Choose the right packaging.
- Delayed/missing parcel, what to do?
- My shipment is damaged, what now?
- Opening hours and accessibility.
The main changes.
- Please consider the adjusted handover and delivery times of PostNL, DHL, UPS and DPD.
- Planning to use the Collection Service? Then be aware of the adjusted collection and delivery service by PostNL and DHL. If you intend to have more parcels picked up than usual around Black Friday, Sinterklaas, or Christmas, please provide your schedule through our case portal.
- Starting from early December, you should take into account adjusted delivery days for items from the mailbox.
- Some carriers charge a peak surcharge during the end-of-year period to partially cover the extra personnel and materials.
- PostNL: PostNL’s peak surcharge applies from November 19 to December 31, 2023, and amounts to €0.25 per package and €0.15 per mailbox parcel, in addition to your usual rate.
- UPS: UPS’s peak surcharge applies from October 1 to January 14, 2024, and applies to parcels that meet the specifications for the large parcel surcharge or additional handling costs. The peak surcharge amount is variable and dependent on the destination. More information on the parcel specifications to which this surcharge applies and the rates can be found on ups.com.
End-of-year calendar: All changes in one overview.
During the end-of-year period, there are many important deadlines and changes to be aware of. We have compiled the main changes for you in our end-of-year calendar, making it easier for you! Print the calendar, hang it up, and avoid surprises!
This is how you help reduce the likelihood of delays.
Together with the carriers, we do everything in our power to ensure your customers receive their orders on time. However, it remains unfortunately inevitable that a portion of the mail and parcels will not be delivered within a day. You can help reduce the chance of delays by delivering shipments on time and spread throughout the week. Try to avoid Mondays if possible and deliver parcels as early as possible in the morning. Please consider any deviating delivery and handover times.
Set up your shipping process optimally to boost your e-commerce.
How do you handle the large flow of orders (and returns) during the busy period? And how do you deal with delays from carriers due to the large number of packages that need to be processed in a short time? Discover in our blog how to prepare your shipping process for the year-end period with 5 handy features!
Managing customer expectations.
Despite all preparations, during the end-of-year period, there is a possibility that delivery times may be longer than your customers are accustomed to. Prevent disappointment by informing your customers in advance that delivery times may be extended and be cautious in offering guarantees regarding order delivery. In addition, you can stagger discount promotions and encourage customers to place orders earlier to help distribute the workload for yourself and the carriers as much as possible.
Choose the right packaging.
During the end-of-year period, you’ll find festive packaging options in our webshop. Do you want to surprise your customer with a different packaging during the holidays? Order it in advance! Due to the expected rush, delivery times may be longer than usual.
Additionally, pack all your orders as compactly as possible, ensure the (print) quality of your shipping label and barcode is in order, and affix your shipping label to the largest side of the package, top right. Need more packaging tips? Check out the 10 guidelines for packaging products in our blog.
Delayed/lost parcel, what to do?
There are a number of things you can do when your shipment has not been received by the correct person and you think it is delayed or lost. However, frequently the shipment is still underway to the recipient. Read our blog on what to do in case of a delayed or suspected missing parcel.
My shipment is damaged, what now?
If your customer receives a damaged parcel, you can submit a claim for damages through your account. To be eligible for compensation, the shipment needs to meet a number of PostNL conditions. You need to submit a claim and send all of the details within seven calendar days after the shipment’s last scan. In our blog we explain how to file a claim.
Opening hours and accessibility.
Can’t figure something out? For an answer to your question, take a look at our knowledge base or submit a case through your account. Then we will be able to help you more effectively. Your personal case overview allows you to keep track of the most current status of each case. You can also respond here and close cases yourself once they have been solved.
- Sunday, December 24: closed.
- Monday, December 25: closed.
- Tuesday, December 26: closed.
- Sunday, December 31: closed.
- Monday, January 1: closed.
Opening hours 20 November to 31 December:
|8am – 6.30pm
|8am – 6.30pm
|8am – 6.30pm
|8am – 6.30pm
|8am – 5pm
|9am – 5pm